Monday, November 23, 2009

A Day Off...One of Thanksgiving

I cried because I had no shoes
Until I saw a man who had no feet.

That is a phrase that stays with me always for many reasons.  Six years ago I shattered my right foot almost beyond repair.  But a fine surgeon put it back together again.  When it aches and I need my walking stick at night, I remind myself that I have my foot.  Five years ago I lost my mom on Thanksgiving Eve.  It was hard to approach the day in the next years without some grief erupting. I remind myself now that she was there in my life for 49 years and 87 on earth.

2009 has been tough for so many, and it is easy to get lost in your own challenges.  But there is always someone that is being challenged more.  Those who have lost their footing.

So this Thanksgiving Thursday, a rare day off for Mike and I, we will give thanks for so much.  Our safe country, our soldiers that protect us relentlessly, my in-laws at age 87 each, and the freedom to own our own business and pursue our passion.

So a parade, some football, a walk, and a casual quiet dinner, just the two of us, will make our day.
Happy Thanksgiving...take time to remember.

No comments: